A lot of people refuse to eat bananas if they eve see one brown spot, but me? I love them! Did you know that the riper the banana, the higher the benefits? Black-spotted bananas have even been shown to help the body fight cancer! Not to mention, spotty bananas are often sweeter and just taste darn good ;)
But if you prefer sticking to the greener variety of bananas for eating straight-up, you can still enjoy spotted bananas in other forms. Try freezing them for smoothies or banana "nice cream," or my personal favorite, banana bread. Yum! This recipe listed down below does not only help you use up those spotty bananas, but it is also sugar free and gluten free!
Banana Nut Muffins (Sugar Free & Gluten Free)
- 1 ½ cups ground almonds
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- ¼ cup ground flax
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a muffin tin with muffin liners.
- Place almond flour, coconut flour, flax, salt and baking soda in a bowl and whisk together. Transfer to blender and add in the eggs, coconut oil, mashed bananas and vanilla and blend until smooth. Pour batter into the muffin tin and top with the crushed pecans
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, checking the center with a toothpick
- Cool muffins on a wire rack for 10 minutes
*This recipe can also be made into banana bread by lining a loaf pan with parchment paper and baking for approximately 30-35 minutes.