With summer coming to an end and school getting back in session, more of us are rushing out the door early in the morning. Often times this means either skipping breakfast entirely or having something quick, like cereal. Of course there are other options such as meal prepping some healthy things to eat on the road, or waking up earlier for a full meal, but let's face it, most of us don't have the time. So today I'd like to talk about cereal.
Most of us have grown up eating cereal (my personal favorite is cinnamon toast crunch) and many of us still eat it today. But by no means are our favorite kids cereals considered healthy. Most of them are highly processed and full of added sugars. But that doesn't mean we have to give up cereals completely! Following these few simple guidelines, you can find a healthy cereal that not only feeds you, but fuels you for the day.
- Limit sugar to less than 5 grams per serving
- Look for 100% whole grains as the first ingredient
- The shorter ingredient lists the better!
- Watch for serving sizes
- Try to get at least 3 grams of fiber (preferably from the grains, not added fiber)
Following these simple guidelines should help you find a cereal that is not only quick and easy, but will also keep you going all day without worrying about crashing blood sugar levels or being hungry 15 minutes later ;)
Cereals that Made the Cut
- Puffed 100% Whole Grain Cereals, like the ones by Arrowhead Mills
- completely unsweetened, the only ingredient is the grain
- Original Cheerios
- Original Puffins
- Uncle Sam Original