Rice krispie treats were always a childhood favorite of mine, but as I grew up I came to realize they weren't necessarily "appropriate" for an adult to consume. I must say, sometimes I still get those cravings though! So in order to crush those cravings, I have come up with a MUCH healthier homemade version of rice krispie treats.
My version only uses 4-5 ingredients, it's vegan, has a high-protein option, and it can easily be made gluten free :) So much better tasting (and better for you) than the traditional rice krispies made with butter and marshmallows!
- 4 cups crisp rice cereal*
- 1/2 cup protein powder of choice (optional)
- 1/4 nut butter of choice
- 1/2 cup honey**
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- Spray an 8x8 baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together cereal and protein powder. Set aside.
- Add nut butter, honey, and coconut oil to a small sauce pan and cook over medium heat until boiling. Make sure to stir constantly so that it doesn't burn! Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Add honey mixture to dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Once mixed, add to prepared baking dish, pressing down firmly, and allow to cool in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Slice into 12 equal pieces, drizzle dark chocolate over top if desired, and serve!
*Make sure to use certified gluten-free rice cereal for gluten free version **Use maple syrup or brown rice syrup in place of honey for vegan-friendly option
These little bars are the perfect sweet treat! And best of all, they're made with real ingredients AND have added protein that helps you feeling full and satisfied. I highly recommend trying them! Especially with a little dark chocolate drizzle ;)