Get ready to add a flavorful twist to your summer BBQ with watermelon salsa! I LOVE watermelon... in fact the hotter it gets the more I crave this cool, refreshing treat. Of course part of it could have to do with the fact that I am 8 months pregnant and its hot outside (haha), but none-the-less I think everyone wants to get on board with a sweet and hydrating fruit like watermelon on a warm summer day! Watermelon is good to me any which way, so I was intrigued to find a recipe that added some spice to it... a route I had not tried. Give it a whirl and let me know what you think!
** Hint: The combination of ingredients can be a turn-off to some people, so let your family and friends think its regular salsa in order for them to be willing to try it...then watch them gobble it up!
- 2 cups chopped seeded watermelon
- 2 TB chopped red onion
- 3 TB seeded Anaheim chile (use more or less depending on your personal heat level preference... the white membranes make it more spicy)
- 2 TB balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 ts garlic salt
- Chop the watermelon in 1 in cubes, then dice the onion and chiles
- In a medium-sized bowl mix together the watermelon, onion and chiles
- Add the garlic salt and balsamic vinegar and toss to mix evenly
- Place in the refrigerator to chill for at least an hour
- Serve with chips, grilled zucchini chips, or endive leaves and enjoy!
Health is Wealth