Are you struggling to get enough protein per day? Or are you just looking for a healthier dessert alternative to satisfy your sweet tooth? If so, this recipe may be perfect for you!
Vanilla caramel cookies that are only 50 calories each! Not to mention, they have over 6 grams of protein per cookie. You could easily eat the entire batch for only 300 calories and 38 grams of protein. That's better than a cookie you'll find anywhere else!
A typical chocolate cookie is easily twice as many calories with negligible protein. And the protein cookies on the market? They're no better,! Averaging about 380-400 calories and 16 grams of protein for only one cookie.
You may be wondering how this recipe is so high in protein, but still lower in calories AND tastes good. The secret ingredient? Beans. Yes, you read that right! Beans not only provide a healthy dose of protein and fiber, but they create an amazing, soft texture that helps form the base of these cookies. It may sound weird, but trust me, it works ;)
Vanilla Caramel Protein Cookies
- 1/2 cup white beans, drained and rinsed (navy, garbanzo, butter etc.)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 tbs egg whites (or one fresh egg white)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 scoop of your favorite protein (I used BPI Vanilla Caramel Whey)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Sweetener of choice (optional)*
- Chocolate chips (optional but highly recommended)
* The amount/kind of sweetener you use is really up to you. I have a big sweet tooth so I used about a Tbs of granulated stevia, but if you don't want things as sweet or if your protein is sweet enough as is, feel free to omit.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and coat with nonstick spray.
- Blend together beans, pumpkin, egg whites and vanilla. You may need to add a splash of milk to make sure everything is completely smooth.
- Mix in remaining ingredients until fully incorporated.
- Spoon on to prepared baking sheet, this made about 6 cookies for me.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes or until no longer wet to touch. DO NOT over bake these as they can get dense/dry depending on the protein powder used.
That's it! A healthy, high protein sweet treat that is guaranteed to kill those sugar cravings. Feel free to switch up the flavor of protein or add in different mix ins, it's up to you! I hope you give this recipe a try. Enjoy!