The freshest of fresh produce season is upon us! Yay! Summer squash, tomatoes and basil can be so fun to grow in your garden this time of year, or even pick out at the farmers market. I thought this recipe was a fun twist on the traditional grilled or sauteed veggies. Give it a whirl and let me know what you think. Feel free to tailor it to your taste buds and family size as well. This works great as an appetizer, side dish, or light meal. Yum!
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 large White Onion (diced)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (crushed)
- 1 large Zucchini (sliced diagonally, skin on)
- 5 large Tomatoes (sliced)
- ½ tablespoon dried Basil
- 5 tablespoons Breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons Pine Nuts
- Salt and Pepper
- 4-6 large leaves of fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C)
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a fry pan with a bit of salt.
- Saute onion until translucent and garlic becomes fragrant. Spread onion mixture evenly on the bottom of large baking dish.
- Slice and arrange the zucchini and tomato in rows, overlapping each other. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Mix breadcrumbs, 1 tablespoon olive oil , Basil, salt, and pepper in a saucepan. Toast over medium heat until breadcrumbs have gained a bit of color. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over zucchini and tomato in your baking dish.
- Toss pine nuts evenly over dish. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Bake in lower third of oven for roughly 30 minutes. If pine nuts start getting too dark, remove from oven immediately.
- tear up fresh basil and sprinkle over the top for extra color, flavor and fragrance.
- Serve hot.
* Find the original recipe here: http://www.veganfamilyrecipes.com/2013/11/zucchini-tomato-tian-with-pine-nuts.html