I don't know about you, but with the weather warming up, I've been itching to get outside and grill! While burgers and hot dogs are tempting, I personally prefer to keep it a bit healthier. Grilled chicken and veggie skewers are great options when I want something quick, easy and delicious. But when I want to get a bit creative, my go to is a homemade black bean burger!
Black bean burgers are lower in fat and higher in fiber compared to their meaty brethren. Plus, since you're making them from scratch, you know exactly what's in them and don't have to worry about added preservatives or fillers! Topped with some avocado and paired with some fresh watermelon, these burgers make a perfect healthy meal.
Black Bean Burgers
Makes 4 patties.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Add onion, garlic, salt and pepper and cook until translucent. Add carrots, cumin, coriander, chili powder, and cayenne pepper and cook until carrots are tender. Remove pan from heat.
- In a bowl, mash the beans and add the carrot-onion mixture. Add oats and soy sauce and mix until fully combined.
- Form 4 patties with your hands and place on baking tray. Freeze for about 30 minutes to set.
- Cook patties in a pan over medium heat until lightly browned on each side. Serve on a toasted bun with toppings of your choice. I highly recommend avocado!