Its time to find your Jam! Many of the jellies and jams you will find in stores today are loaded with lots of unnecessary sugars and really don't have much nutritional value. Chia seed jam however, is a delicious and healthy alternative that you can make at home. It's simple, healthy and fresh... pretty much everything I look for in food! This jam packs a lot of flavor, protein and natural sweetness that I'm sure will make you want to avoid the store bought versions for good. As an added bonus there are endless options and combos, so you are bound to find one that suits your personal taste buds. Give it a whirl and enjoy!
- 1.4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/4 cup honey
- soak chia seeds in water for about 5 minutes (until it has a jelly-like texture)
- heat frozen fruits and honey in a small sauce pan over medium heat until the berries are soft...roughly 15 minutes.
- remove from heat and lightly mash and break up the berries with a fork
- stir the chia seed mixture into the berry mixture
- let cool for at least 10 minutes then store in an air tight container in the refridgerator
Enjoy this delicious treat on toast, mixed into oatmeal or greek yogurt, or any other variation that sounds yummy to you!
Keep in mind due to the lack of processed sugar and preservatives, this jam wont last as long as the store bought versions, so it's best to gobble it up in a week or so.