Have you ever heard of "zoats" AKA zucchini oats? It sounds kind of strange, but zucchini bread works! Adding zucchini to your oats isn't THAT far fetched ;) Who knows, it may just become your new favorite breakfast!
Not only does the zucchini add a great hint of green, but it adds a TON of volume, fiber and nutrients. Zucchinis are very low calorie, containing so saturated fats or cholesterol. They are also a good source of potassium, containing moderate levels of B-complex vitamins like thiamine, pyridoxine, riboflavin and minerals like iron, manganese, phosphorus, and zinc.
So what are you waiting for? Adding this simple ingredient to your morning bowl of oats will not only make a larger bowl (meaning you can eat less) but it will increase the fiber and nutrient content making you feel fuller longer. And I bet you won't even taste it ;)
- 1 part oats
- 2 parts zucchini, shredded
- 2 parts water
- Optional mix-ins/toppings:
- Cinnamon, protein powder, egg whites, nut butters, seeds, fruits, granola, honey etc.
- Combine oats, zucchini, water and a dash of salt in a small pot over medium heat. I used 1/3 cup oats, 2/3 cup zucchini & 2/3 cup water
- Allow to cook, stirring occasionally until water is absorbed.
- Add optional mix-ins and serve with whatever toppings your heart desires!
See, easy! I personally added egg whites and protein powder to this bowl of zoats, along with fresh blueberries and peanut butter on top. This bowl was low in sugar, high in protein and fiber and had me full for hours! It was the perfect pre-workout breakfast.