Happy Halloween everyone! Chances are tonight you'll either be passing out candy or your children will be coming home with their own bags of candy. Either way, you're likely going to be stuck with a bunch of candy around the house for the next few weeks. So what do you do with all of it?
The two obvious choices would be to throw it away or eat it all, but wasting food or falling into a sugar coma probably aren't the best of ideas ;)
Instead, I have a few tips to share with you on what you can do with all of that extra candy!
If You Want to Get Rid of the Extra Candy
- Take the leftover candy to work to share in the break room.
- Use the hard candy at Christmas time for a gingerbread house.
- Donate it to a local shelter.
- Send it to the troops.
- Donate it to the school for an arts and crafts project.
If You're Wanting to Keep the Candy
- Practice Portion Control - either for you or the kids, set a limit on how many pieces can be enjoyed per day. 1-2 small pieces of chocolate per day is the perfect amount to satisfy a sweet tooth and work your way through the candy stash, while still keeping a balanced diet.
- Bargain - if you think it might be too much candy for your little one, try asking them to trade some of their candy for non-food items (like staying up later or a new toy). Reward them for making healthy decisions!
- Make a Recipe - my personal favorite way to use up Halloween candy is to make it into something else. There are tons of recipes online for cookies, brownies, chocolate bark, snack mixes etc that use Halloween candy! However, you can lighten up Halloween candy a bit by making it into the recipe below. It should still be considered a treat, but at least there's some fruit, right? ;)
Halloween Candy Apple "Nachos"
- 2-3 apples
- 4 TBSP Peanut Butter
- 1 TBSP of honey
- Halloween candy
Thinly slices your apples and lay your apples on top of a platter. Mix together peanut butter and honey until it reaches a drizzle type consistency. I put mine in the microwave for a few seconds. You may also need to add more honey to your peanut butter. Drizzle on top of your apples. Add your desired toppings. Serve immediately and enjoy!