Every Friday night my boyfriend and I have a date night where we stay in, cook dinner together, and just relax. Its our favorite kind of date night, but the longer we're together, the harder it is to come up with new dinner ideas! I often find myself looking online for recipes, but they always seem to be for 4-6 people. Sometimes more! Sure I could do some math and figure out the conversions to make the recipe for 2 people, but I want to eat, not do math.
This constant search for recipes just for two inspired me to create this recipe! Stuffed peppers for two.
This is the perfect meal to share with a date or to save for a future meal when you're in a rush!
Stuffed Peppers for Two
- 1 large bell pepper
- 4-6 oz meat of choice, I used chicken breast
- 1/3 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/3 cup frozen corn
- 2 tbs salsa
- 2 tbs cheddar cheese
- Spices: sea salt, chili powder, cumin to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cut bell pepper in half. Remove membranes and seeds.
- Bake for 20 minutes in a foil-covered baking dish until peppers are soft.
- While peppers bake prepare filling by first sauteing meat until fully cooked.
- Remove meat from pan and add in onions. Season to taste with spices of choice. Saute until translucent.
- Add in garlic, beans, corn and salsa. Allow to cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Return meat to pan and cook an additional 2-5 minutes.
- When peppers are soft, turn oven down to 350 F.
- Divide filling evenly between two peppers.
- Top with cheddar cheese and return to oven for an additional 5-10 minutes or until cheese has meted.
This recipe is gluten free and very high in protein. Using 6 oz of chicken, this recipe provides a whopping 27 grams of protein! It can easily be made vegetarian or vegan by swapping out the meat (I'd recommend increasing the beans) and leaving out the cheese.