I LOVE seafood! The fresher the better! Years ago my sister and I were on the hunt for a really delicious ceviche recipe after sampling it in a restaurant and loving the cool and flavorful dish.
We played around and decided this one hit it out of the park for us. The best part about it is you can alter it to your personal taste; let this be your base recipe for any additions or changes you want to make. This recipe is healthy, full of protein and vegetables, and requires no cooking; simply chop, prep, chill, and enjoy.
Just in time for a great labor day side dish too... *disclaimer: there won't be any leftovers once your friends get to sample it!
- 1 pound peeled and deveined small shrimp
- 1 cup fresh lime juice (takes about 4-6 limes depending on their size)
- 10 plum tomatoes
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 medium cucumber
- 2 avocados
- chopped fresh cilantro to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4-6 heads of endive lettuce cups
- place shrimp in a glass bowl and cover with lime juice for about 10-15 minutes. The acidic lime juice will "cook" them.
- meanwhile dice up the tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, cucumber and avocados and place together in a large bowl
- remove shrimp from the lime juice (save the juice), dice it up add to the rest of the chopped veggies.
- pour the remaining lime juice marinade over the mixture, add the cilantro, salt and pepper to taste
- toss gently to combine
- cover and chill until ready to eat
- to serve: fill a larger bowl or bucket with ice and place your bowl of ceviche on top to keep it cool
- delicious served with endive lettuce cups (or organic chips if you prefer)