If you're like the majority of the population, you made a resolution to eat better this year. An easy way to do this is to add more vegetables to your diet! In attempt to eat more vegetables without just making a salad, (because who wants a salad when its 30 degrees outside?) I started making this recipe for fried "rice"!
Quinoa Fried "Rice"
This recipe is gluten free, full of veggies and protein packed! You can even bump up the protein with a little chicken breast or shrimp if you desire.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (or liquid aminos, if gluten free)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Sriracha, for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over low heat. Add eggs and fry until cooked through, about 2-3 minutes per side, flipping only once. Let cool before dicing into small pieces.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring often, until onions have become translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, broccoli and zucchini. Cook, stirring constantly, until vegetables are tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add corn, peas, carrots and quinoa. Cook, stirring constantly, until heated through, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add ginger and soy sauce, and gently toss to combine. Cook, stirring constantly, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in green onions and eggs.
- Serve immediately, drizzled with Sriracha, if desired.
This recipe can also be made vegan by simply leaving out the eggs. And feel free to switch up the veggies used, Its up to you! Get creative and enjoy :)