Though it may be winter, I think this healthy and fresh dish is wonderful year round! Many of us may be seeking some healthy and lighter meals after the parade of holiday buffets. Not to worry, this dish is full of veggies, antioxidants and minerals to give you a boost. It also stores great in the fridge to save as leftovers. This is a great base recipe, but you can substitute in any other ingredients to fit your taste buds.
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, chopped (or 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved)
- 2 large cucumbers, chopped
- 1 small red onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- 6-8 black Kalamata Greek olives, pitted and sliced
- For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste (roughly 1/4 tsp of each)
* If you are looking for protein so you can consume as a lunch salad, then you can add a cup of drained chick peas or black beans.
- combine your chopped veggies, feta and olives in a salad bowl.
- whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- pour the dressing over the rest of the ingredients and toss to combine.
- Enjoy on its own, as a side dish to a meal, topping to salads or chicken tacos, or any other meal of your choice.
- Store in an airtight container to enjoy for a few days after making.
I look forward to hearing about the possible variations you and your friends and family create with this recipe.
Health is Wealth!