With the holidays upon us it is a great time to integrate a lighter side.. and maybe shake off that turkey coma!
This bright and nutritious soup can give you the warm comfort food feeling without sticking to your ribs on the way down! This is a great starter course, or served for lunch the day before or after a big feast. Your body will thank you!
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 russet potatoes, diced
- 3/4 cup dried split peas
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1/2 head broccoli
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 TB olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- salt to taste
- In a large pot saute your chopped onion, celery, potatoes, cauliflower and split peas in olive oil.
- Add the bay leaves and broth, bring to a boil, cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove the bay leaves and stir in the zucchini, broccoli, basil and pepper.
- Simmer 20 minutes until broccoli is tender.
- Stir in spinach and remove from heat.
- Puree the soup in a blender, or using an immersion blender until smooth.
- Sprinkle with a dash of parmesan if desired and serve hot!
Savor. Enjoy. Repeat!