I LOVE bread! My sisters and I loved going to the grocery store with my mom when we were young so we could pick out the perfect loaf of warm bread to take home. The smell, taste and texture are all heavenly to me. Top it with butter, jam, or dip it in balsamic and olive oil and you have got yourself a GOOD time. Did I mention I like bread?! haha.
Well as I got deeper into learning about nutrition and picking the right fuel for my body, it turns out loading up on lots of bread wasn't ideal for my body. However, with some simple, healthy swaps in some of my favorite recipes, like using applesauce to get that great moist bread, it is still a treat that I love to bake, smell, eat and enjoy. Try this out for yourself and see what you think.
- 2⅔ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp all-spice
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2½ cups zucchini, grated (about 2 medium zucchini)
- ¾ cup carrot, grated (about 2 large carrots)
- ¾ cup apple, cored and grated (about 1 large apple)
- ½ cup mini, or regular, chocolate chips (optional)
- ½ cup pecans, roughly chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Mist 4 mini loaf pans, or two large loaf pans, with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, all-spice, and nutmeg; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Whisk in the sugars, oil, applesauce, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix to combine. Fold in the shredded zucchini, carrot, and apple, as well as the chocolate chips, and pecans if you are choosing to use them.
- Evenly distribute the batter between each of the loaf pans.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until tops of loaves are slightly browned and an inserted toothpick comes out cleanly.
Enjoy warm or cold, with or without butter, cream cheese, or any of your other favorite toppings.
A great additional to a healthy holiday brunch or holiday host gift!